Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)
The Mental Health Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) is a partial day treatment program that consists of specialized therapy sessions led by the Psychiatrist and the team of Psychologists. This is an intensive program emphasizing the use of Medication Management, Psychotherapy and Counselling, Art Therapy, Music & Dance Therapy, Therapeutic Yoga and Meditation, Relaxation Training, Physical Exercise Training and Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation.
Who is appropriate for this program?
The IOP primarily serves people with ADHD, Mood and Anxiety disorders such as Major Depression, Bipolar disorder, and Obsessive Compulsive disorder. The program also accepts participants with other disorders such as Schizophrenia or Schizoaffective disorder, Substance-Abuse disorderwho are already stabilized on medication.
IOP takes place 10 am- 3 pm Monday through Friday. The program consists of a Psychiatrist and Psychologists meeting you every day for the IOP schedule- starting with Medication Management, followed by Problem-Specific Psychotherapy and Counselling. The Yoga & Meditation sessions and rTMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) sittings are conducted during afternoons. The last session will include Physical Exercise Training or Relaxation Training.Art/Dance/Music Therapy Sessions will be done only if required.
The IOP runs a maximum of six weeks on a tapering schedule (5 days-3 days- once a week). Duration and frequency of visits are based upon symptom severity and medical necessity.
- Builds insight and increases awareness
- Reduce fears, anxieties and depression
- Manage anger, guilt and shame
- Curb destructive impulses and behaviour
- Regulate emotions and tolerate distress
- Express thoughts and feelings
- Practice interpersonal effectiveness and communication skills
- Deal with addictions while finding healthy alternatives
- Build structure to their days
- Set limits/ Goal setting
- Replace negative self-talk with positive affirmations
- Explore personal values and beliefs
- Child, Adolescent and Adult Psychiatrist
- Clinical Psychologists
- Mental Health Counsellors
- Yoga Instructors
- rTMS specialists